On my first visit of the year, I made 2 new friends and knocked out a slew of tasks:
- Replaced failed and failing segments of garden bed walls.
- Made the acquaintance of two volunteers of the pest patrol team.
- Cleaned up the residual hops from last year.
- Installed ~ 20 hops trellises.
- Sprayed all garden beds with an herbicide that targets foliage
- Just diluted vinegar
- I avoided spraying the hops, currants and gooseberries as they were flushing leaves.
- My strategy is spray everything else indiscriminately since the herbicide works by desiccating foliage without harming the stems of perennials, the soil or roots.
- Next weekend will be followed up with a planting of buckwheat and clover to outcompete anything that tries to come back
Then turkey season will keep me occupied until my next visit in May. Until then, I have plenty to keep me busy posting in the meantime!