I meant to plant this at the beginning of October. Out of all the factors that cause garlic failure, rot is the most responsible. As the farm received an extraordinary amount of rain around that time, garlic planting was postponed.
Then I got very busy as the slowdown of posts on this blog indicates. Garlic just fell off the to-do list until it was finally planted at the beginning of November.
Individual garlic cloves are planted in the fall where they begin root growth. During the following spring, green top growth takes place yielding a full bulb in summer.
At this point, most garlic varieties will taste similar. Differences are developed as the bulbs cure. When the time comes, I will post on the harvest and curing process in greater depth.
Variety selection and pest deterring uses are covered in this previous post.
Some recommend to pull the cloves apart from the bulb to be stored in a paper bag for 2 days before planting. I just yank them apart and put them straight into the ground. However, do your best to keep the papery covering around the cloves intact!
- Dig a small hole 2″ deep
- Place the garlic clove into the hole with the pointy side upward
- Refill the hole
- Repeat the steps with a 4″ spacing
I photographed the process thinking the immense size of my amazon-sourced Elephant garlic would help to demonstrate the process. Now I realize the single clove is the size of most entire bulbs of garlic and could introduce some confusion as well as change the needed planting dimensions.
Oh well, I’ll re-do this next year will appropriate sized bulbs.
One thought on “Planting Garlic”
My garlic plants seemed to shrink rather than grow… I found out that I had made the mistake of planting them in the same bed as my asparagus and they do not like each other. The plants furthest from the asparagus did best so this year I will devote a bed entirely to garlic. I have a Ukrainian friend who will advise me. Another aspect which became essential information was pH…. our soil is very alkaline and my “friends” had been advising me to lime the soil because they “knew” all the soil around here was acidic… once I had the soil tested I started using sulphur and suddenly I am up to my armpits in blueberries! Little details are vital in the garden….